Things To Do In Chester
Chester was recently voted the top staycation location in the UK! The Roman city is not only beautiful to look at and insta-perfect, but there are also lots of incredible things to do and beautiful places to stay. This blog will give you some great ideas for your upcoming staycation in Chester.
First up, where to stay...
Serviced Accommodation Chester
When looking for places to stay in Chester, look no further than our local company Hygge Homes. If you are looking for a home from home self-catering experience, Hygge Homes has lots of options to choose from. Whether travelling with friends or family, as a couple or a group - we have you covered! Our properties range from city centre town houses, to picturesque canal side properties, to quaint and characterful properties, all minutes from the centre.
Above: The Duchess
Hygge Homes Chester
Town Houses in the Centre of Chester - Perfect for Groups
Weaver House - 4 Bed, 2.5 Bath, Sleeps 8, Outdoor Seating/Garden
Cromwell House - 3 Bed, 3 Bath, Sofa Bed, Sleeps 8, Outdoor Seating/Garden
Augustus House - 4 Bed, 2.5 Bath, Sleeps 8, Outdoor Seating/Garden
Canal Side Properties a Short Walk from the Centre - Perfect for Families, Couples and Friends
Churton House - 2 Bed, 1 Bath, Sofa Bed, Sleeps 6, Pet friendly, Outdoor Seating/Garden
Canal House - 2 Bed, 2 Bath, Sofa Bed, Sleeps 6, Outdoor Seating/Garden
Waters Edge - 2 Bed, 2 Bath, Sofa Bed, Sleeps 6
Quaint and Characterful Houses a Short Walk from the Centre - Perfect for Families, Couples and Friends
Lightfoot House - 1 Bed, 1 Bath, Sofa Bed, Sleeps 6, Outdoor Seating/Garden
Handbridge House - 3 Bed, 1 Bath, Sleeps 6
William House - 3 Bed, 1 Bath, Sleeps 6
Tarvin House - 2 Bed, 1 Bath, Sleeps 4
Chester Serviced Apartments - Perfect for Families, Couples and Friends
The Duchess - 3 Bed, 2 Bath, Sleeps 6
Gawer Apartment - 2 Bed, 2 Bath, Sofa Bed, Sleeps 6
Kings Apartment - 2 Bed, 1.5 Bath, Sofa Bed, Sleeps 4
Next up, things to do...
Top 10 Things To Do in Chester
1. You guessed it... Chester Zoo! it is a definitely a firm favorite for people visiting Chester. It is one of the largest zoos in Chester and nicknamed 'the zoo without bars'. It has a a huge focus on conservation efforts and sustainability, making it a perfect day out for families and friends. No matter where you stay in Chester, you will only be a short drive or taxi ride from Chester Zoo. Just make sure you book tickets ahead of your visit.
2. Sight-Seeing. The Roman city of Chester has so many Roman sights which you can see just by walking around the city centre. You can look around the Roman Gardens, the Amphitheatre and even along the Roman walls surrounding the city! Chester's gothic cathedral and the iconic Eastgate Clock is also well worth a visit!
3. Chester Races are one of the many reasons Chester has become a top location for staycations. From champagne bars through to picnics on the grass, there is a ticket to suit everyone including families on Roman Days. If you plan on heading into town afterwards, be sure to reserve tables as it does get very busy!
4. Chester Riviera! Chester's famous River Dee has got a reputation for being a beautiful place to walk along and get an ice cream. With pubs and restaurants on its banks, the river is a peaceful place to be whilst enjoying Chester. You can even go on a boat trip up the river!
5. Chester's famous Rows and shopping. Chester's iconic rows are a perfect way to browse the shops and take in the wonderful city. The rows were built on the four main streets leading from the Chester Cross. It is thought they were built on top of remaining ruins of Roman buildings, and above undercrofts or 'crypts' below. Today these undercrofts have been made into quirky bars and restaurants you can visit such as Vin Santo Wine Bar!
6. Food and Drink. Chester has lots of options for great food and also a great nightlife. Some food options are....
Stile Napoletano - Amazing traditional pizza
Covino - Beautiful small plates and wine bar
La Fattoria - Family run Italian
Da Noi - Small, family run traditional Italian with a fine dining feel
Chez Jules - Great value French cuisine
Siam - Great Thai restaurant
Ruan Orchid - Great Thai restaurant
9 Elephants - Modern, street food style Thai restaurant
Olive Tree Brasserie - Greek cuisine
Barton Rouge - Curry house
Artichoke - Bistro food
Porta - Great tapas
Hypha - Fine dining vegan with a Green Michelin star for sustainability!
The Architect - Great pub food with beer garden with views of the race course
Carbonara - Italian/pasta restaurant
Great options for drinks are....
Vin Santo - Great wine bar in the Roman crypts
Prohibition - Secret, speak easy bar
Liquor and Co - Great bar with secret bar upstairs (ask at the bar to see the caretaker!)
Bar Lounge - Popular bar which also serves food
Craft and Co - Bar specialising in craft ales
Oddfellows - Beautiful secret garden at the back with quirky seating areas
Popcorn - Popular new bar
The Church - Bar in a renovated church
Harkers - Great traditional pub with good ales, no children.
Above: The Architect
7. Cheshire Ice Cream Farm and Candle Factory is a great day out for families. The ice cream farm has lots of activities for kids and sells its famous ice cream in countless flavours! The candle factory is alao just down the road. Kids can make candles using traditional techniques, and even paint pottery candle holders. Close by is a lovely pub called The Pheasant Inn. It has beautiful views across the Cheshire countryside and is well worth a visit for lunch!
8. StoryHouse is a cinema and theatre hub. Not only hosting theatre, lectures, stand up and more, it also hosts activities for children. StoryHouse has a lovely cafe and restaurant too!
9. Open Air Theatre/Movie Nights are not to be missed in Chester! Moonlight flicks are on regularly in Chester in Deans field next to the cathedral and surrounded by the Roman walls! The open air theatre productions usually take place in Grosvenor Park.
10. Cheshire Oaks designer outlet has lots of fab shops selling designer products at discounted prices. Cheshire Oaks is well worth a visit around Black Friday! With many excellent restaurants too, you can have a full day out here. We highly recommend Mowgli Street Food for a traditional Indian small plate experience!
For more information about things to do, please contact us today or click here to book to stay with us!